Thursday, November 19, 2009

Interview : Hollywood Floss

posted by Free Press Houston @ 10:12 AM


By Omar Afra

There is a quote on Hollywood Floss’ webpage that says” I Wanna Save The World But I Gotta Get My Stacks First.” We could not agree more. But this philosophy plays directly into his music, as it is both conscious and ambitious. Floss rhymes are confident and aggressive yet he address a gamut of topics ranging from freeing ones thoughts to older women who like to bang younger men. Transcendent indeed. Either way, Floss’ sound is sparkly clean and he is making moves.


Tell us about the slick production on your recordings- are you responsible and what kind of approach do you take to songwriting?

I like the title of that "slick production”. Yea I’m def. 80% of my production. If it says Hollywood FLOSS then it’s me crafting the beat from start to finish unless I ask someone to play a live instrument for me. I'm giving them the melody by humming it out or referencing a vibe to where I want it to go.

Songwriting is different track by track - Sometimes it's with the beat and sometimes it starts as poetry and I craft sounds around it. Rarely do I use the fashionable Jay-Z approach of writing in my head.

You tend to have positive content to your lyrics yet spit them out aggressively. Is there a paradox here?

The theme behind Hollywood Floss has always been a positive approach. I remember when I first met Fat Tony, it was refreshing to hear someone from my hometown who was able to convey the same expression ... lol, it def. is a paradox, but nah that’s the only way to attack it for me, because if you don’t believe in your own lyrics who will? So I spit aggressively to show you I'm serious about what I write

Who are some of your favorite musicians in Houston?
Favorite musicians Neon Collars, hasHBrown, Kidd The Great, Dustin Prestige, John Dew, DnN, Fat Tony, Check Other, Thurogood Wordsmith, The Tontons, Karina Nistal, Mic Skills, Hip Phoenix, Black Rose

Mainstream - K-Rino, Scarface, Bun-B

Do you feel Amy frustration translating your music to a live context?

I don't think I ever have a problem translating my music live because I purposely create songs and shows to create to different crowds... ex: if its a mostly woman crowd - then I have a set list for them (its still me but it might be a diff. side to me)
Same for a "hip-hop" crowd or an avant-garde crowd

Plus I have my DJ and a backing band so it only gets better with each show
What's next for Hollywood Floss: Progression? Regression? Transgression?

Always Forward Progression... I have a new album House of Dreams and I feel it's progression for me and it shows my growth as an artist. Musicians should write what you like and if people feel you, that’s a bonus!

What say ye?: Hip-hop is dead or better than ever?

Better Than Ever my friend... I’m just getting warmed up!

6 Comments:

At November 19, 2009 at 12:33 PM , Anonymous the prestigiously prestigious mr. prestige said...

You got damn right. T.H.E.M.

 
At November 19, 2009 at 1:24 PM , Anonymous Tone said...

Nice.
Thank you FREE PRESS HOUSTON [Omar] for your continuing support!

Tone
(Hollywood Floss Mgr)

myspace.com/HWFlossMusic

 
At November 19, 2009 at 2:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hollywood will definitely be problem in hip hop dude is dope. I've met him a couple of times Cool Cat.

 
At November 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, HW Floss is attracting positive attention and creating his own buzz through stand out performances, catchy hooks, and his approachable demeanor.

Straight to the top baby.

Thuro

 
At November 20, 2009 at 10:49 AM , Blogger FAT TONY said...

HOLLYWOOD FLOSS IS THE TRUTH AND NOT A FABLE.

 
At November 20, 2009 at 12:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man you guys need a real editor! Too many typos per article on a very consistent basis.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home