Thursday, September 20, 2007

Spot The Local Music Curmudgeon - September 20th Edition

posted by Ramon Medina - LP4 @ 5:48 AM

-A weekly blog where I highlight one show I definitely expect to attend (see *) and throw in a few more that I'd like to and might see given the money and the time.-

Last Sunday's show at Rudz pretty much whooped my ass. Bright Men of Learning put on an inspired set but, due to the Free Press Staff Meeting concluding at Rudz at 8pm, early drinking led to my being pretty smashed and beat pretty early. So despite the fact that the headliner was Magnolia Electric Company, I simply counted my blessing of having been able to catch BMOL's excellent set and called it a night.

This Week's Spotlight


Thursday 9/20/2007-
*Lymbic System, The Mayapples, and Tambersauro
at The Proletariat tonight
(Early show doors 6pm).

I don't know much about the other two bands but Tambersauro is worth the price of admission alone. Their split 10" on Esotype Records from earlier this year is definitely one of my favorite recording of the year and their live shows are unrivaled. Lance Higdon's drumming is a marvel of manic energy and the rest of the band swaggers the Prog like nobody else. I always have horrible luck with these early shows given my schedule but Tambersauro is definitely worth the effort.

See Always Summer Booking for more details

Also This Week

Friday 9/21/2007
Greenbelt Collective, Come See My Dead Person, The Hungry Villagers
at Super Happy Funland

Sounds like some serious indie folky stuff going down. The Canadian Greenbelt Collective seem pretty amusing but my curiosity is piqued more by the local CSMDP and THV which only goes to show the beauty with a venue like SHFL, catching some primordial band you've never heard.

Sunday 9/23/2007
Tokyo Electron, Born Liars, The Monocles
at Rudyard's

The touring act, Tokyo Electron, may be worth sticking around for given what I've heard but the two openers is what make my ears perk-up. Born Liars and The Monocles put on some very sweet no frills rock direct from the garage to you. I recommend pairing these appetizers with a Rudz burger and a beer.


Thursday 9/20/2007
Spectrum, A Pink Cloud
at the Jet Lounge

I only just added this because I saw it on Hands Up Houston. Turns out, tonight is the Spectrum show with A Pink Cloud. Not that you'd know that from the Jet Lounge's web site or Myspace. C'mon guys, that's just lame. We want to see shows at your venue, just give us a calendar so that we know what's up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home